Saturday 2 April 2011

Apartment kitchen


It's almost time to say goodbye to our home of three years.  What a great renovation journey it was. It all started with the kitchen which was in need of an overhaul.

Kitchen before

Kitchen before


Initially I considered creating a contemporary kitchen.  But I decided that my small,1920s apartment with original period features called for a more traditional style.

My research led me (via Willow Decor) to the divine craftsmanship and style of Swedish kitchen designers, Kvanum.

Kitchens like this...


...inspired my design choices.

I found a wonderful kitchen designer in Sydney, Dominique McAdam from Provincial Kitchens, who helped bring my design ideas to life in the context of my 1920s space.


(image from www.galettorealestate.com.au) 

Living above other people, I couldn't have a wooden floor, so I decided on tumbled travertine.  I love it - it's adds visual warmth and I like the rustic texture.  The photos don't do it justice - in natural light it's quite matt (not shiny and reflective) and is lightly filled with a sand-coloured grout.

The marble countertop is Volakas, a pure white Greek marble with a gorgeous cappuccino-coloured streak running through it.  It streak looks grey in the photos but in natural light  it has a soft mushroom undertone which softens the grey and gives it the cappuccino colour.

The cupboards are hand-painted in Dulux Natural White.




The backsplash is a lovely handmade Spanish tile from Pazotti Tiles at Bondi Junction.  It adds visual texture to the cool, white space.

Kitchen after
Kitchen after

After extensive searching, I found the holophane pendant lights at Magins in Willoughby.


Kitchen after
(All "Kitchen after" images from www.provincialkitchens.com.au)